Chrome OS isn’t essentially the most option-packed working system round, however there are some issues you are able to do to make your Chromebook’s desktop look and work the way in which you need.
Customize your Chromebook’s wallpaper
First, let’s sort out your desktop’s primary look:
- Right-click anyplace in your Chromebook’s desktop and choose “Set wallpaper” from the menu that seems.
- Click via Google’s classes to pick a picture, or click on the “My Images” possibility on the backside of the record to decide on a picture from your individual native storage.
- If you need your wallpaper to vary to a brand new picture day by day, click on the “Daily Refresh” toggle that’s accessible on the primary thumbnail of any of Google’s classes. (That possibility, sadly, isn’t presently accessible with your individual photos.)
Customize your browser’s background
You may personalize the web page that comes up each time you open a brand new tab in your browser:
- Open a brand new tab in Chrome and click on the “Customize” button (or the pencil icon) within the browser’s decrease proper nook.
- Select “Chrome backgrounds” to decide on a picture from Google’s assortment or “Upload an image” to choose a picture from your individual native storage, then observe the prompts to search out and make sure the picture you need.
Customize your browser’s theme
Google has promised that quickly you’ll have the ability to click on that very same “Customize” button and decide a customized theme that’ll change the colours of your browser’s tab and toolbar space. Until then, nevertheless, if you need a theme in your browser, you’ll must obtain it from the Chrome Web Store.
- Open the “Themes” section of the Chrome Web Store.
- Find a theme you want, click on it, after which click on the “Add to Chrome” button.
Customize your Chromebook’s shelf
Last however not least, take management of the Chrome OS shelf — the dock-like row of shortcuts on the backside of your display. Start by choosing precisely what icons seem in that space:
- Open your app drawer (by clicking the circle icon within the lower-left nook of the display after which clicking the upward-facing arrow on the partial drawer that seems). Right-click any merchandise within the record and choose “Pin to shelf.”
- If you need to add an internet site, open the location, click on the three-dot menu icon in Chrome’s higher proper nook, after which choose “More tools” adopted by “Create shortcut.”
If you need the location to open in an app-like window, with out the standard browser parts on prime, click on the “Open as window” possibility within the “Create shortcut?” pop-up window that seems. Then click on the blue “Create” button.
- Drag and drop any of the icons within the shelf to vary their place.
- Have you determined that you just don’t need the icon in your shelf in spite of everything? Right-click on the icon and choose “Unpin.”
And one closing pair of prospects: If you need your shelf to seem on the left or proper facet of your display as a substitute of on the backside, right-click anyplace inside it, choose “Shelf position,” then choose “Left” or “Right.” And if you need your shelf to stay hidden by default and seem solely once you mouse over it, right-click the shelf and choose the “Autohide shelf” possibility.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These don’t affect editorial content material, although Vox Media could earn commissions for merchandise bought by way of affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, see our ethics coverage.