New York City Police Department (NYPD) Commissioner Dermot Shea on Thursday night introduced the primary demise of their ranks from coronavirus-related problems.
In an announcement emailed to Newsweek, Shea expressed that the NYPD is “deeply saddened” over their “first Coronavirus pandemic casualty.” The deceased, Dennis C. Dickson, was a custodian assigned to Police HQ and a 14-year veteran of the NYPD household, he stated.
Dickson handed away on Thursday at Kings County Hospital.
“Mr. Dickson was a revered member of the custodial staff at Police Headquarters once spending 17 days at the headquarters building during Super Storm Sandy assisting with emergency cleanup operations,” Shea added. “Mr. Dickson was again on the front line cleaning and disinfecting 1 Police Plaza so that our personnel could be here safely, allowing them to continue to serve the people of the City of New York.”
Following Dickson’s demise, Shea commemorated the NYPD member in an announcement shared on Twitter. “Today we lost one of our own: City Custodial Assistant Dennis Dickson, who faithfully served with the NYPD since 2006, has passed away from complications related to the coronavirus,” the commissioner wrote. “Our deepest sympathies & all of our prayers go out to Dennis’ colleagues & family.”
As of Thursday, no less than 350 members of the NYPD had examined optimistic for coronavirus as town continues to wrestle with containment of the brand new illness. Dickson, reportedly a 62-year-old male who had a pre-existing coronary heart situation, is the primary NYPD member to die from COVID-19.
New York’s coronavirus outbreak has seeped into town’s police drive and is spreading quick. The determine climbed to roughly 350 at the moment, after the NYPD confirmed over 200 staff had examined optimistic for COVID-19 on Tuesday.
The U.S. surpassed 69,000 circumstances of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 on Thursday morning, in response to a tracker maintained by Johns Hopkins University. About half—greater than 33,000—of these circumstances are within the Empire State, with no less than 363 lifeless, essentially the most deaths in a single state.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo stated roughly 15 % of the circumstances in his state require hospitalization. He has known as for the federal authorities, non-public companies and members of the general public to assist in any method they’ll.
Cuomo has additionally urged folks to observe social distancing and keep at house, advising that the worst remains to be to return. “It’s going to go up, it’s going to reach a high point, it’s going to tip, it’s going to go back down,” he stated. “We’re still on the way up the mountain.”
The graphic beneath, supplied by Statista, exhibits the rise in COVID-19 circumstances in New York state, in comparison with Washington and California.
World Health Organization recommendation for avoiding unfold of coronavirus illness (COVID-19) Hygiene recommendation
- Clean arms regularly with cleaning soap and water, or alcohol-based hand rub.
- Wash arms after coughing or sneezing; when caring for the sick; earlier than, throughout and after meals preparation; earlier than consuming; after utilizing the bathroom; when arms are visibly soiled; and after dealing with animals or waste.
- Maintain no less than 1 meter (three toes) distance from anybody who’s coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your arms, nostril and mouth. Do not spit in public.
- Cover your mouth and nostril with a tissue or bent elbow when coughing or sneezing. Discard the tissue instantly and clear your arms.
- Avoid shut contact with others in case you have any signs.
- Stay at house for those who really feel unwell, even with delicate signs reminiscent of headache and runny nostril, to keep away from potential unfold of the illness to medical services and different folks.
- If you develop critical signs (fever, cough, issue respiration) search medical care early and make contact with native well being authorities prematurely.
- Note any current contact with others and journey particulars to offer to authorities who can hint and forestall unfold of the illness.
- Stay updated on COVID-19 developments issued by well being authorities and observe their steering.
Mask and glove utilization
- Healthy people solely have to put on a masks if caring for a sick individual.
- Wear a masks if you’re coughing or sneezing.
- Masks are efficient when utilized in mixture with frequent hand cleansing.
- Do not contact the masks whereas carrying it. Clean arms for those who contact the masks.
- Learn the right way to correctly placed on, take away and get rid of masks. Clean arms after disposing of the masks.
- Do not reuse single-use masks.
- Regularly washing naked arms is simpler towards catching COVID-19 than carrying rubber gloves.
- The COVID-19 virus can nonetheless be picked up on rubber gloves and transmitted by touching your face.